Friday, December 12, 2008

internet safety doing

I talked to an incredible 49 year old lady, who is a mother of six. None of her children live at home anymore and although she's heard of cyberbullying and has a basic understanding of what it is, none of her children ever had to deal with it. I talked to her about some of the videos I watched about internet safety, especially as related to cyberbullying and told her about the boy who committed suicide and the girl who had an eating disordered, both of whom had their problems amplified by chatting online and finding sites on the web. We also talked about the video about the mom who was doing all she could to keep her home safe from the dangers of the internet and how we thought that she was being somewhat overprotective, which drove her kids to just use the internet at other locations (like their friends' houses). This woman got nintendos and the internet in her home to encourage her children to play at their own home, rather than at their friends' homes so that she could better supervise and control what games and sites are being used. This was a positive experience because I was able to teach her some things and open her eyes to a few things, hopefully with perspective rather than just to freak her out. It was not difficult to talk to her about these things, but rather I found it pretty easy and very valuable. I look forward to having more conversations about this with her as I plan to turn to her when I'm wondering what to do with my own family.

No comments: